A BLT Always Hits The Spot
Care to spruce up the typical BLT? I was inspired to modify my own personal recipe for a classic Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato sandwich after I saw the film Spanglish. While not a particularly memorable film, the film features the main character fixing himself a snazzy BLT, so I tried to recreate it for my dining pleasure!!
The Vinnie Vegas BLT Classic
- Take two thick slices of fresh bread – I use Italian Bolle. Lightly toast the slices of bread.
- Cook 4 strips of bacon to your personal taste.
- Cut 3 slices of a large, fresh tomato.
- When the bacon is done, take the slices out of the pan and place them on a paper towel to drain.
- Take one slice of bread and place some Monterrey Jack cheese on one side, and put it back into the toaster oven (or oven) for about another minute to melt the cheese.
- Spread some mayonnaise on the other slice of bread.
- Place the bacon on the slice of toast, on top of the mayo.
- Place the tomato slices on top of the bacon.
- Take a leaf of Romaine or Butter lettuce and place it on top of the tomato slices.
- Fry an egg for about 45 seconds, and slide the runny egg on top of the lettuce leaf.
- Take the slice of toast with the Monterrey Jack cheese and place it on top of the creation, assembling the sandwich.
- Slice in two, and serve with a pickle, some hot peppers, and some potato chips.
It doesn’t get much better than the Vinnie Vegas BLT! Enjoy!