It doesn’t get much better!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes (No Salt Added)
- 1 pound lentils
- 7 oz small noodles
- 11 Cups low-salt chicken broth (or water)
- Chop the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots.
- Heat up some olive oil in in a large pot
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and simmer for about five minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and let simmer for another five minutes, until the carrots and celery start becoming tender.
- Add the can of diced tomato and all the juices and mix a bit, letting the whole base mix with the tomatoes for about 7 to 8 more minutes.
- Add 1 lb of lentils and mix to coat them with the base of the soup.
- Add the broth or water and stir.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over a low heat for about an hour. The lentils should be nice and tender by then.
- Stir in the noodles and let cook for about 8 more minutes (or the recommended cooking time for the noodles).
- Season with additional salt and pepper consistent with your taste.
If you like you may drizzle with some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle some Parmesan cheese! Serve with some Italian bread and enjoy! Just the thing for those cold winter nights!